LFS Gear Ratio Calculator
Please note, LFS Gear Ratio Calculator is very outdated, please download its replacement
Vehicle Handling and Performance Analyser instead.
So what is it anyway?
As the name implies, it's an application that takes lets you input the gear ratios from your setup and tells you a little bit more information about them,
such as the speeds attainable in each gear at any engine rpm (typically at the engine rpm you change gear).
The idea is it makes setting up the gear ratios in the setup a little less trial and error guesswork, and a little more fact.
Although a tidy summary for GRC v1.0, the latest version (v.2.5.3) allows so much more.
It would be fair to say the name of Gear Ratio Calculator doesn't do the program justice at all, hence all development will now be under a different name.
What Gear Ratio Calculator can do for you:
You still have to know (basically) what gearing does in order to make use of it.
- Tell you the speed at shift points between gears, thus making it easier to adjust them.
- Tell you the engine revs before and after shifts, to help prevent gears from being badly spaced.
- Tell you the torque available in each gear, to help limit wheel-spin.
- Perform standing start acceleration info and pick out some acceleration times (e.g. 0-60) and top speed.
- Calculate all of the vehicles aerodynamics for aero balancing and view the impacts on top speed and acceleration.
- Draw pretty graphs to provide information in a more readily understandable visual format.
- Give estimated tyre deformation information.
- Allow you to create your own cars so that GRC can perform everything mentioned above with cars that are not in LFS by default.
- Allow you to save and load settings to save you having to continously re-enter your gearing details.
- Allow you to personalise the program so information is presented to you in the format which you prefer.
What Gear Ratio Calculator can't do for you:
- Magically make your gearing perfect.
- Shave two seconds off your laptime.
- Get you laid.
Anyway I hope you find this program useful and any feedback is much appreciated.
LFS GRC v2.5.3p (1211KB/1975KB)
The two filesizes in brackets are the compressed/uncompressed sizes.
Want to know the changes between this version and the previous version(s)? Check the development log.
Version 2.0 requires certain files to be present in your system directory in order to run.
The Microsoft VB6 Runtime files are needed if not already present.
If you still get a missing file error when trying to run to program, download these files (1,176KB), read the readme.txt provided and follow the instructions there.
If you have anything to say, please leave feedback in this thread (LFS forums).